This guide aims to bring you six different nuances to the key concepts involved in brand strategy for your solopreneur content marketing business. There are areas of brand strategy to understand and some other areas of brand strategy to execute. In all cases, understanding your “why” behind brand strategy helps sharpen the implementational aspects.
With brand strategy, the real difference lies … well, in your difference! It’s the totality of your difference: in approach, positioning, brand name choices, brand identity design, brand experience building and brand trust fostering factors. At every stage of the process, it’s your uniqueness and your tangential thinking that brings you rewards. Whether you want to make a deep imprint on customer minds, or simply outclass competitors, how can you think laterally to get a strategy that has both novelty and longevity? That’s what the brand strategy game is about!
What’s in Solohacks Academy Speed Guide 7?
Your maverick factor must underpin your solopreneur brand strategy!
Your “maverick factor” is crucial to you, as a success-eager and brand-conscious solopreneur. Your maverick factor is the psychological aspect of yourself that makes you think and act in an independent way, often behaving differently from the expected or usual way. Your chosen business niche alone cannot differentiate your brand. Your niche can give you a unique platform for deciding what your content will be, but what will underscore your “content brand difference” from competition in a marked and memorable way is your personal “maverickness”.
Contrary to popular thinking, it’s not that some people are born more maverick than others. The truth is everyone has a “maverick streak” in them, and it’s only that some people give expression to it regularly.
- Your solopreneur brand strategy begins with your “maverick factor” … so give it some air!
- What are the advantages of being a “maverick” to a solopreneur in content marketing?
- A simple example of how a maverick, brand-conscious solopreneur can think differently!
- As a first step to brand strategy, make your maverickness part of your business mission
Brand positioning, for solopreneurs, is about owning a customer’s mind!
Brand positioning, in the lexicon of a solopreneur in content marketing, simply means “occupying an indelible slot in the customer’s mind”. It’s all about mind games. Despite everything we do to embellish our brands, outfox competition and understand the customer with keenness, we can only claim success if our brand is always on the customer’s mind as his top-recall brand name in our niche.
And once a brand is positioned in a buyer’s mind, it is very difficult to reposition it without destroying its credibility. That’s why it’s tough to dislodge a well-entrenched competitor and lay our claims on customer minds, unless we are so different that the customer willy-nilly forgets the competitor in favor of our brand.
- What is brand positioning … and how difficult has brand positioning become?
- What is competitor repositioning … and why is “repositioning” gaining importance?
- 8 steps to brand positioning … by looking for opportunities to reposition competitors
- How to craft your brand positioning statement … and how’s that different from a tagline?
What’s in a brand name? For your solopreneur business, it’s everything!
Brand names are a make-or-break factor for any solopreneur business. Naming your brand is among the most challenging phases in the process of your business … and it’s actually something you can do only once, so you had better apply everything to get it right first time. Before you can develop all the various elements of your brand identity, you need a name that’s not only appropriate, available, appealing … but, most importantly, enduring over time.
From the day you announce your brand name, it gets all locked in with your business as its very existential identity. So think hard before you start … and realize that your brand name will stick. It had better be well thought out right from the word “go”.
- Realizing the sheer power of a great brand name for your business!
- Brainstorming, vetting and zeroing in on your final brand name!
- Claiming your brand name on the web … the easy and tough parts!
- Registering and protecting your brand name from theft and disrepute!
Designing a knockout brand identity for your solopreneur business!
Brand identity, to a solopreneur who uses content marketing, contains two important visible elements – the brand logo and the tagline – and a host of other less visible but still important nuances, in various pieces of content. The moment the logo takes shape, you get the heady feel that you are now in business.
But it shouldn’t be treated like fun and frolic, because designing a logo is serious business. Clarify your understanding of your brand’s mission, values, vision, culture, and character – and then settle down to create a symbol that serves as an accurate presentation of who you are and what you stand for in your marketplace.
- Deciding what kind of logo you want for your brand
- Should you design your own logo or hire a professional logo designer?
- Why every brand needs a brand identity guidelines manual …
- Knowing when, how and why to create a tagline
Why solopreneurs need to live by the axiom that “experience is the brand”!
Brand experience is easy to imagine but difficult to plan for and execute. As a solopreneur in content marketing, you are also a customer who buys many things online, aren’t you? Notice how even if you can never fully describe positive brand experiences, you sure can remember every bad brand experience long after such incidents made you angry or frustrated or outraged.
As customers we all come to expect a certain minimum in positive brand experiences, and feel cheated if our expectations are not met. That is one of the most important reasons why every solopreneur has to take care of his customer’s brand experiences, from well before a person becomes a customer, to well after he becomes a customer. Brand experience is a 360-degree exercise.
- Brand experience built as a “360-degree experience” through customer journeys
- Brand experience built as deliberately choreographed and staged high-buzz events
- Brand experience built as user-generated content that celebrates customer-brand bonding
- Brand experience built for coherence in a disjointed multiscreen world
4 keys to build trust and create brand loyalty in your solopreneur business!
Building brand trust and building brand loyalty are two sides of the same coin, for any solopreneur business. But both trust and loyalty are long-grown elements of brand success, and you can never hope to speed up the process with customers. Every attempt to nudge people to trust you usually backfires.
Trust and loyalty are given to brands by customers as a gift for long-standing relationships – and cannot be commanded or demanded. There’s a beautiful line written by Jeffrey Gitomer that’s always worth remembering: “You cannot buy trust at any price. But slowly, over time, you can build it for free.”
- The incredible power of brand trust to a solopreneur business
- How building trust builds brand loyalty
- If brand loyalty is built over time, what can you do to grow it today?
- The top motivations that normally drive brand loyalty in customers